Our History

Home/About CPC/Our History
Our History 2016-10-13T23:02:37+00:00

Organized in 1958, with 71 charter members, Cocoa Presbyterian Church has developed alongside the NASA Space Program.

A wide diversity of individuals and families call it “home” and describe it as a congregation that provides meaningful worship, enlightening studies and enriching opportunities of service and fellowship.

COCOA PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH HISTORY TIMELINE
1957-2014

December 1, 1957 19 people met in Cocoa to make plans for organizing a Presbyterian Church, US, under leadership of Rev. Augustus Summers.

January 1, 1958 Rev. Hugh C. Hamilton began as home mission pastor.

May 4, 1958 Organization of the Cocoa Presbyterian Church by St. Johns Presbytery with 71 Charter members

1959 First building – Fellowship Hall completed

January 1960 Sunday School Annex of three rooms was completed

1961 First organ purchased, a Conn Classic

October 1962 Building #3 (Offices & Pre-School Classes) completed

1965 Building #4 (elementary classrooms) completed

October 3, 1965 Hamilton’s left Cocoa for new church development in Titusville, Florida

1965-1966 Rev. John Henderson of Miami, Fl. served as Interim Pastor (3 months)

December 19, 1965 Rev. Ernest H. Flaniken called as Pastor

February 13, 1966 Rev. Flaniken‘s first Sunday in pulpit

October 1967 Planning council elected to begin Sanctuary plans

Jan. – Aug. 1968 $50,000 building fund drive completed for new Sanctuary

November 24, 1968 Groundbreaking for new Sanctuary

October 5, 1969 Dedication of new Sanctuary

1973 Gary Coppedge, Louisville Seminary Summer Intern

Summer 1974 Exchange Pastor, Rev. Alexander (Sandy) McLachlan from Scotland

October 1975 Extended Ministry Program begun

1977 Joe Reggin, University of South Florida, Summer Intern

1977 Rogers Organ purchased from St. Mark’s Episcopal Church

1979 Richard & Marla Myers Summer Interns

Summer 1979 Exchange Pastor, Rev. Alexander (Sandy) McLachlan from Scotland

1980 Elbert Darden, Columbia Seminary, Summer Intern

1981 Randy Clayton, Columbia Seminary, Summer Intern

1982 Richard Troost, Columbia Seminary, Summer Intern

1983-1984 Lynn Holiday, Columbia Seminary, Intern one year

1983 Reunion of Presbyterian Church, US and United Presbyterian Church UPCUSA to form the Presbyterian Church (USA)

1984-1986 Rev. Dan Sanders-Wooly, Associate Pastor

1986 Beth Hutton, Interim worker

1988-1992 Rev. G. Richard Troost, Jr., Associate pastor

May 1, 1988 Paul Hise Scout Lodge dedicated

1989 Purchased a Rodgers Organ with the Porter Memorial

1991 Purchased and dedicated a midi keyboard in honor of Mary Louise Flaniken, choir Director

February 3, 1991 Dedication of Fellowship Hall in honor of Rev. Ernest H. & Mary L. Flaniken

February 16, 1991 Ernest Flaniken retired as pastor of Cocoa Presbyterian Church after 25 years

May 1, 1991 The Shepherd Program begun

March 91’-Jan. 92’ Dr. Bill Brown served as Interim Pastor

March 1, 1992 Welcomed Rev. Charles R. & Mrs. Chris Philips, David, Christy, Abbey & Tim

May 1992 $200,000 Bond Program for renovation begun

January 1993 Samick Grand piano dedicated from Roy & Esther Lealman

Summer 1994 Youth/Christian Education Director Paul Becker

Summer 1994 Youth/Christian Education Director Angie Waller

Summer 1995 Sandy Hill, Columbia Seminary, Summer Intern

January 1996 Building of Jennie McElveen Memorial Library

July 1996 Welcomed DCE/Youth Director Mark Pardue, wife Jodi and son Jacob

Sept. 2000-Aug.01’ Dr. Robert Ledbetter served as Interim Pastor

Sept. 2001-Mar.03’ Rev. Fred Fife served as Interim Pastor

May 2002 Welcomed Youth Director Peggy Wilson & Music Director Linda Dearborn

April 1, 2003 Welcomed Dr. Robert M. Wallace, Jr. and wife Sissy

April 2006 $105,000 Capital Campaign “Celebrating 50 Years…Preparing for the Future”

2007 Remodeled Kitchen with Capital Campaign $6,000.00

July 2007 Director of Programs and Growth, Anne Adams and husband Trell

2008 Celebrated a Year-Long 50th Anniversary

Nov. 1, 2011 Dr. Robert M. Wallace, Jr. retired

March 1, 2014 Welcomed Rev. Dr. Lucas de Paiva Pina and wife Marta